Monday, September 17, 2018

Taiwan Middle Schoolers (and I) Learn The Golden Rules


      On March 14, 2018, a conversation enrichment program I called “Pets & Parks” was missing something: pets. Five months later, in a similar program in a Tan-Zih school, I make the connection between the "Golden Rule"-"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you," to pets and animals, but we didn't get around to discussing dog parks, cleaning up after them, not leaving them in hot cars, walking them on leashes, or not riding them on a scooter. We didn't discuss trap and neuter or stray dogs and cats on the mean streets of Taiwan. Instead, in the two schools with classes of 40 eight-graders, we practiced reported speech and did "Improve This Park". There were some modifications  in the lesson plans, though I had yet to learn the golden rule of teaching. 
    At Chungder Middle School in Yunlin,  I had wanted to read a story about a dog in Seattle that goes alone by  bus to a dog park but then I  realized how ridiculous  the concept of a dog park was in rural Taiwan. It was good we were pressed for time and it didn't come up; it was better to go slowly and practice conversation. Instead, we had a discussion and blackboard team competitions in the past tense using  reported speech with a controlled composition called “Keep a Cat”. They did the modifications in teams and I called them to the board to write their sentences.
    The homeroom EFL teacher, Teresa, was cooperative and excited to see new  language activities. Despite her help monitoring the class, the groups had so much fun making posters of their new park designs that they forgot to write descriptions; English is harder than art. Once you hand the students a marker and poster, the deal is off.
These programs from the Kang Hsuan Publisher  are viewed as "fun with a foreigner" by the schools that invite me  for the one shot deals. Few westerners have entered their classrooms.  I hope to share new pedagogy with the  teachers I visit but often they take the opportunity  to leave and do something else; Teresa was an aberration of that fact.  
    Many EFL teachers would not mind giving the students markers and letting them draw away without regard to the English component, if there is one at all. After all, the children were having fun; that should have been enough to earn my stipend; right? Although it was an excellent photo op, I felt the children could learn more. This lesson needed some work; perhaps some music and videos to focus the students' attention and use their EFL skills.  
      On August 15-16, 2018, the chance came again to try out a new lesson plan for "Parks and Pets." I had been asked by Kang Hsuan agent to visit Tan-Shou Middle School in Tan-Zih, just north of Taichung. I was told that, unlike the school in rural Yunlin, I would have internet access and a smart board with great audio. 
     Each four-period lesson began with a one-period ice-breaker; an introduction utilizing the power of reported speech. The students were engaged in conversation. "I am happy to be here; what did I say?" I framed the response into correct format: "You said you were happy to be here." I told  the students that we were going to talk about pets and parks. I asked for examples of pets.  I then asked students to repeat what their classmates said. After practicing, I divided the class into groups by rows and had a board contests. This motivated the students; it got them up and right into the topic.
     "After the break I will give you a quiz," I said. The class froze not knowing what to expect. After the break I handed out "Emergency"  and explained that they had ten minutes to choose three items they would rescue from a fire at home. The teams that chose to save Tweety, Scruffy, and Fluffy over their video games and sneakers (no one saved their school project, ha-ha!) were awarded points that accumulated for their home teacher to reward the students with credits towards the purchase of snacks. 

   The Betty Boop cartoon, featuring Grampy, called "Be Human", strongly condemns abuse and advocates animal rights. I handed out the lyrics and sang the song going over words they might not know Betty sings as she plays the piano. I knew the students would love it, and they did; they felt the pain of the abused animals and couldn't stop laughing at the vengeful lesson the abuser got.   


   August 16th  was the second of the two EFL conversation enrichment mornings at the middle school in Tan-Zih. I introduced myself through reported speech and went straight into animal abuse with the quiz and Betty Boop cartoon and song; their summer school EFL teacher kindly  set up a 'smart board' in lieu of the overhead projector in the first room; he even programmed three versions of "The Rain, The Park, and Other Things" by the Cowsills..."  
       In the first morning class, we  completed the activity "Golden Rule" with blackboard revision.    We then did brainstorm organization and summation of "Be Human" with each student in each group required to write at least one detail before their team could stand to write on the board. In the first class, students stood and rushed to the prime team members that did most of the writing.  Unlike the first class, I played   "The Rain the Park and Other Things" without going over the words as the students worked on their posters.
      (Listen to "The Rain the Park & Other Things here.)
The class ended and the students hadn't done their reports. It was the end of their summer school term and I wouldn't be able to return to hear them; I offered to go back in September when they reconvene but I doubted that would happen in the rush of the new term. 
     The "Pets and Parks" lesson hasn't reached 'dog parks' because I was asking the students to do too much in the three or four hour one-time enrichment classes. The first period was spent setting the table for reported speech, getting to know the students, and introducing myself and the topic using Cooperative Learning for board activities.
      The second period started with the "Emergency" questionnaire; I called it a quiz to shock the kids to attention. They got extra points if they rescued the three pets from the burning building. It segued into the Betty Boop cartoon, "Be Human" after which the students brainstormed and organized summaries for their team.With the group from Wednesday, I had the luxury of being able to hear their reports the last period on Thursday but that was a fluke.  
     To be most effective, I had to give the students time to organize before they re-told the story on the board; I awarded 5 points for simple sentences  minus one point for each error. I didn't insist the students copy the corrected summaries so I would  have time to do "Improve this Park". In this way, I could add the "Golden Rule" component and play "The Rain the Park and Other Things". Children love to hear music and draw park maps. 
      I was trying to squeeze eight hours of lessons into four! My hope that the on-sight teacher would pick up where I left off      was 
unrealistic. Next time I do such an outreach I will not squeeze "Pets & Parks" together. I learned the golden rule of teaching: "Don't bite off more than they can chew." Teachers have to give students a little slack on the leash and not shove things down their throats. Students need time to digest what they have learned. 


 www.readingsandridings.jimdo.com
                      Copyright © 2018 by David Barry Temple. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment